Established in the year 2004, Department of Management Studies (MBA@GAT) is having more than a decade's expertise in teaching the art of Management. The MBA programme offered by the Department is a two-year full time programme affiliated to VTU, approved by AICTE and Recognized by the Government of Karnataka. The program structure is designed in such a way as to impart basic knowledge of different disciplines of management in the first year. In the second year, knowledge and practical skills are imparted in the area of specialization opted. The department offers specializations in the areas of Marketing, Finance, and Human Resource. Option of dual specialization is also offered along with core specialization.
We at GAT believe in creating an environment, which allows every faculty member to experiment and develop innovative ideas under the guidance of experts from the Industry and Academia. We develop intellectual capital of our faculty which is the base of any institution, in order to optimize their efficiency through FDPs and other programmes. This enables them to excel in their chosen field of academics and thereby can support, groom & nurture Management graduates to blossom in corporate world. We motivate students to go for startups to become employers than being employees and generate employment opportunities for others.
I extend warm welcome and my hearty congratulations to all students who have chosen to pursue their career goals through the Department of Management Studies. Today, MBA is considered as the basic prerequisite for management positions be it in Finance, Marketing, and HR department of an organization. The modern day challenging business environment increases the demand for business executives who understands the constantly changing nature of business and how organizations must adapt in order to maintain their competitive advantage. The MBA program at GAT aims at building real skills to handle these challenges by the students to fit into the corporate world through our well-structured program and delivery. The department is well geared up and committed to provide through its various activities, ample opportunities to the students, to sharpen their talents and to hone their skills in the chosen specialization. Our highly qualified and experienced and committed faculties are fine-tuned to guide the students in preparing themselves for facing the outside world. We focus on providing soft skills with special emphasis on spoken English, role plays, case discussions, mock interviews, group discussions etc as part of our teaching learning process. Further, regular Entrepreneurship Development programmes are conducted to inculcate the entrepreneurial thoughts among our students, to become as the job provides than the job seekers.
The Department of Management Studies (MBA) has the distinction of having well qualified and highly experienced faculty members drawn from both industry and academia, who are capable of bringing corporate wisdom in to the class room to provide proper exposure through real life cases, situations and examples. The faculty members have acquired professional qualifications such as NSE Certified Market Professional (NCMP) in the field of securities markets and the like.
The department has an ideal blend of seniors and youngsters, who are ever ready for providing a helping hand to the students not only in their academic pursuits but also in grooming them through personality development, computational skills, public speaking skills etc. It has a very rare merit of having more than 50% of the faculty members cleared NET/SLET in its fold. Publishing papers in conferences and journals forms part of routine of the department and has more than 100 publications to its credit. All the members of faculty are doing their doctoral research (Ph.D) on the contemporary issues of Management from reputed universities. Counseling and mentoring skills of the faculty team make the students ready for facing the challenges of the corporate world.
Faculty members of MBA@GAT have delivered several talks on emerging trends at various colleges. GAT faculty members are active and regular participants in National conferences, International conferences and Symposia. Faculty members at GAT generate knowledge through cutting-edge research in all functional areas of management that would benefit public and private sector companies, and government and society in general. The knowledge generated by GAT faculty in the form of research papers has appeared in leading academic journals.
1. Accounting and Finance
2. Corporate Law and Taxation
3. Financial Derivatives and Behavioral Finance
4. CRM and Social Media Marketing
5. Branding and Marketing Mix
6. Woman Empowerment and Quality of Work Life
7. Emotional Intelligence and Leadership
BSc(PMEl), MBA, M.Phil, PhD,
B.Sc (PMCm),MBA,Pursuing PhD,
BSc, MBA,MSc, Pursuing PhD,
1. The department has been consistently performing well in VTU examinations by securing not only good percentage of passes but also more number of FCDs and FCs.
2. Mr. Nithish Gowda G B, secured Silver Medal in VTU weight lifting event held at GAT from 11th to 13th November 2016.
3. Mr. Nithish Gowda G B was a member of the team which secured 4th place in Inter zone Kho-Kho Tournement-2016 held at Nagarjuna College of Engineering and Technology Bangalore from 11th to 13th March 2016.
4. Rashmi S and Jayalakshmi, are the winners of the Bangalore Zone & Inter Zone Net Ball Girls Tournament held at East West Institute of Technology Bangalore, from 23rd to 28 October 2016.
5. Ms. Jayalakshmi was the winner of the throw ball tournament in the Bangalore Division Dasara Sports held at Kanteerava Stadium, Bangalore and was qualified for State Level Dasara Sports, held at Mysore from 2nd to 4th October 2016.
6. Ms. Jayalakshmi was the winner of the VTU Bangalore Zone Throw Ball Tournament 2016 held at Jyothy Institute of Technology, Bangalore on 7th and 8th October 2016.
7. In Christ College Cricket Tournament held on 16th February 2017, Mr. Karthik R was the member of runner up team.
8. The placement season for the year 2016-17 has been very encouraging and we had a good response with various companies providing opportunities to our students. Societe Generale, Berger Paints India Ltd, HDFC Bank, Infinion, Decathlon, ACT FIBER NET, RMC Technology etc. are the prominent companies in which our students have taken part in placement. There were six companies which visited the campus for placements as of now and many more are in the pipeline for placement in the days to come.. The students were sent for pool campus drive on many occasions.
9. Dr. GV Kesava Rao has authored 6 text books and co-edited 4 books. He has been the member of Governing Council, Board of Studies and Board of Examiners etc. for many institutes and universities of repute including VTU. He is the editorial board member of ‘Ithihas-Indian Journal of Management’. He has delivered EDUSAT lectures for VTU for Quantitative Techniques for Management and Financial Management.
10. Faculty members of MBA@GAT have rendered services as freelance trainers on communication skills and soft skills and have conducted workshops for bank employees as well as school teachers. They have also conducted Faculty Development Programmes on various topics
11. Faculty members have been Course Writers and Content Editors for ‘KSOU MBA’ and VTU-MBA programmes.
The Department has contemporary multi-media Smart Gallery Classrooms, an up-to-date central and departmental library with volumes of recommended and reference books along with e-journals and a well-equipped computer centre. The department provides ample opportunities for the holistic development of the students in the form of Co-curricular and Extracurricular activities
A brief glimpse of recent Events and Activities that were hosted and conducted by the department of management studies:
1. Motivational Talk by Dr. Rajdeep Manwani,Professor of Jain College on 13/08/2016
2. Workshop on Lean Management Awareness by Dr. Arcot Purna Prasad, Associate professor –Christ University on 27/08/2016
3. Start up India, CA. E Narasimhan on 08/09/2016
4. Alumni Interaction on Corporate Ethics by Mr. Raghavendra S, Asst. Manager, SSD Division, Godrej Boyce Manufacturing Co. Ltd. on 24/10/2016
5. Alumni Interaction on Corporate Expectations from MBAs by Ms. Priyadarshini G, Operation Risk Analyst, Amazon India on 25/10/2016
6. National Level Symposium on Emerging Issues in Accounting in association with Bangalore Branch of SIRC, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. Eminent speakers spoke on IFRS, Forensic Accounting, Human Resource Accounting respectively. The programme had overwhelming with an audience of around 450 students and faculty members from various B-School, by CA. Asha M, CA. Parag Deodhar and CA. Narasimhan E on 08/12/2016
7. National Level Conference Suprayoga-2017 on Neoteric Advances and Predicaments in Business Environment by Dr. Prasanna Chandra on 23/03/2017
The management clubs in the department are created and operated by the students with active support of the faculty members to execute programs such as Group Discussions, Etiquettes, Business Quizzes, Debates, Business Plans, Ad making, Collage and other Team Building activities on regular basis. This will ne tune the students’ capacities in organizing the programs on their own and groom them to be ready for facing the challenges of industry.
To enhance managerial skills such as Team Building Abilities, Interpersonal Relations, Networking, Manage Uncertainties, Improve Problem Solving skills, Analytical Skills and Decision Making abilities etc., regular outbound training programs are conducted to de-stress the students and improve their agility.
It is rightly said that, in this world nothing is permanent except change. This is more relevant in case of Business World. In order to improve their understanding and increase their knowledge horizon, current and burning issues from different business situations are chosen and given to the students for class room presentations. It improves general awareness and communication along with improving knowledge of business environment.
The Language Enhancement Program is aimed at improving student’s academic English skills. With the help of open source software, through engaging interactive lessons, students participate in reading, writing and understanding the advanced business vocabulary that prepare them for enhancing their business communication skills.
Students at GAT are encouraged to participate in conferences and publish papers in Journals with the support faculty members. This will enable them to get extensive knowledge in the specific area and enhance their writing skills which are an absolute necessity for a competent manager.
To become the fulcrum of Management Education, Training, Research and Consultancy that contributes to the development of business and society