In the endeavor to serve important needs of human being, food, water & air and shelter civil engineering plays a dominant role to realize projects intended to meet these needs to raise quality of life. With further impetus on modern day construction facilities civil engineering has become an inseparable part of every infrastructural scheme and a major contributor for nation’s growth.
Department of Civil Engineering at Global Academy of Technology started in 2004 has grown continuously over the years and is now recognized as one of the research centres under Visvesvaraya Technological University. The department has developed strong links with construction industry and professional bodies. Besides outcome based education instruction at both UG and PG levels, the department is actively involved in consultancy and research projects in thrust areas of civil engineering providing useful advice for the betterment of society. With diversely qualified and experienced faculty members it has become possible to engage students effectively to turn them into industry ready professionals with strong commitment towards environment and ethics.
I extend Warm greetings to Department of Civil Engineering. Stiff challenges of global job market, fostering economic development, ensuring stable society and raising quality of life are well addressed by sustainable and integrated education. We at Global Academy of Technology are striving hard to make every student an all-round strong individual who is capable taking up the mantle of leadership in his chosen endeavor. This is being accomplished with the help of diverse well qualified faculty, industry experts, renowned scientists, and professional programs to cover topics which are of recent interest and beyond curriculum.
We are team of, the most enterprising faculty community engaging students to be innovative and help drive the economic engine of nation using modern technology. The faculty members come with broad based experience in spectrum of areas in Civil Engineering, like Structural, Geo-technical, Construction, Transportation, Geology, Hydrology, Remote Sensing & GIS, Computer Aided Design & Analysis and Environmental & Water Resources Engineering. Responsive staff and faculty committed to provide quality teaching, research and professional consultancy, make civil engineering department a stimulating place for students. The faculty members continuously serve their respective research communities by organizing conferences and workshops, serving on editorial boards and program committees. Some of the faculty are pursuing post graduate and PhD programmes in the following research areas.
Further, our faculties help students fulfill their aspirations and reach their potential by being part of research and consultancy projects or Capstone Design projects by providing much-needed guidance for the incredible efforts of our talented undergrads.
1. Structural Engineering
2. Geo-technical Engineering
3. Construction Engineering
4. Transportation Engineering
7. Remote Sensing & GIS
8. Computer Aided Design & Analysis
9. Environmental Engineering
10. Water Resources Engineering
B.E, M.E. (Structural Engg),PhD,
Exp: 1 Yrs
B.E.,M.Tech (Structural Engineering),
Exp: 1.5 Yrs
Exp: 4 Yrs
B.E, MTech(Geotechnical Engg)
B.E.,MS (Transportation Engineering),
Exp: 1.6 Yrs
B.E, M.TECH(Construction Technology),
B.E, MTech (Highway Engineering),
B.E, M.TECH (Structural Engineering)
B.E, M.TECH(Structural Engineering),
M.Tech (Structural Engg),
M.Tech (Structural Engg),
Exp: 01 Yrs
B.E,M.Tech (Structural Engg),
Department is a recognized research centre of VTU and many students are pursuing research in the areas of flood mitigation, ground water pollution, canal performance and urban sprawl impact studies. Department has conducted many workshops, seminars in the areas of Geo technology, river rejuvenation, ground water & subsurface safety, and recent trends in civil engineering. Funded research projects on coastal sedimentation dynamics, flood studies and consultancy projects for steel plants, Government of Karnataka, non government organizations etc., in the areas of water resources have provided much needed live project exposure to faculty and students. Department has strong association with professional bodies, viz, Association of Consulting Civil Engineers (India), Indian Concrete Institute, Geological Society of India. Faculties of the department are active in publications in numerous international & national journals & conferences. These activities have provided fillip for academic excellence through institute-industry interaction.
1. The department has secured first rank (2015) and second rank (2012) among all affiliated colleges of Visvesvaraya Technological University.
2. CV@GAT is a recognized research centre of VTU and many students are pursuing research in the areas of flood mitigation, ground water pollution, etc.
3. Department is regularly conducting workshops, seminars in the areas of Geotechnology, river rejuvenation, ground water & subsurface safety, structural engineering and recent trends in civil engineering.
4. CV@GAT has successfully completed many funded research projects both from Governmental and Private organization on coastal sedimentation dynamics, flood studies, etc.
5. The department has strong association with professional bodies, viz, Association of Consulting Civil Engineers (India), Indian Concrete Institute, Geological Society of India.
6. Faculties of the department have published research papers in numerous international & national journals & conferences.
7. The department has a well established consultancy centre. Complex design, construction and maintenance problems of the infrastructure sector are resolved through the intervention of the department.
8. The institution also has a well established industry-institute partnership cell. The cell is actively engaged in bridging the gap between the institution and industry.
9. Highly qualified and experienced faculty of the department are rendering their services to prestigious government and public sector undertaking projects.
Since the establishment of research center and consultancy cell, the following projects have been undertaken by faculty, staff and Research students of civil engineering
1. Rain Water Harvesting Action Plan for Gauri Industries
2. Ground Water Recharge Action Plan for B M M Ispat Ltd
3. Comprehensive Water Mgmt Plan for Jindal Steel Works
4. Water Quality Study at IBDL Bidar
5. Water Quality Study at Akshay Nagar Resi Assn
6. RS And GIS Inputs For Hydro Elect Project at Bangalore Hydro
7. Geological Report On Side Slope Protection Of Upper Tunga Project Canal for Karnataka Neeravari Nigam Ltd (KNNL).
8. Action Plan For Sustenance Of Surface Water And Ground Water In The Watersheds Influencing Tunnel Area Of Upper Bhadra Project for Karnataka Neeravari Nigam Ltd (KNNL), Government of Karnataka
9. Geological Note On Adverse Formations Of Varahi Right Bank Canal Tunnel Reach for Karnataka Neeravari Nigam Ltd (KNNL).
10. Remote Sensing Based Geo-Morphological Mapping For Ground Water Prospects Identification and Action Plan Generation for Ground Water Recharge Near Attibele for Infosys
11. Water Management for Art Of Living in Gadag
12. Runoff Yield Estimation For VaravinaKaval Village, NayakanahattiHobli, Chellakere Taluk for Rayudu
13. Ecorestoration – Kodialakarenahalli for Ramamurthy
14. Geo Physical Survey/Rock Level for SNC POWER
15. Geophysical Investigation for New Railway Bridge across the Canal Alignment of UBP At Hebbur, Chainage – 8.996km for SNC POWER
16. Remote Sensing and Geographic Systems Inputs For PAR and DARDU Hydroelectric Projects for Bangalore Hydro
17. RS-GIS Based Geohydrological Studies For Evaluation of Impact on Surface and Sub Surface Water for Renuka Energy in Mumbai
18. Hydro-Geological Studies In The IUWM Project Area, Doddaballapura for Swaraj (NGO)
19. Action Plan For Sustainability of Minor Irrigation Tanks and Ground water regime for Minor Irrigation Department, Government of Karnataka
20. Land slide studies at Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh for RoterInfycons
21. Flood Studies at Balat, Meghalaya for RoterInfycons
22. Watershed Management studies for flood fording and risk appraisal – Case study of Bennihalla subbasin “(10 lakhs)
23. Sediment sink and sediment movement around the Mulki-Pavanje river mouth, Central West Coast of India- Implications on Siltation and river mouth Dynamics. Funded by the VTU, Belgaum (8.75 lakhs)
24. Assessment of strength characteristics of eco-concrete with binary and ternary cementitious materials and pond ash as fine aggregate, funded by KSCST.
25. Experimental investigation on strength of concrete by partial replacement of cement using industrial waste by products at elevated temperature, funded by KSCST.
The department to its credit has state-of-the-art multimedia classrooms, advanced civil engineering laboratories, very good computational facilities with application softwares like STAAD-Pro, SAPS/ETABS, ARC-GIS, Auto-Plotter for superior analysis and design of civil engineering structures. Strong association and membership with many professional bodies have further provisioned many more rare resources to involve in variety of multidisciplinary activities to widen the horizon of students and faculty beyond the scope of syllabus. The classrooms are epicenter of Creativity, giving the students the Joy of Learning.
Department of Civil Engineering at GAT has ten different laboratories dedicated to teaching and research. These laboratories are established for conducting experiments on small-to-large scale specimens as well as carrying out analytical research using high-computing systems. The research areas include structural engineering, material research, smart structures, structural dynamics, earthquake and fire engineering, and construction technology and management. These laboratories are being continuously modernized to accomplish research needs in the advanced field of structural engineering.
Some of the important Laboratories are:
1. Civil Engineering Material Testing
2. Surveying Practice
3. Applied Engineering Geology
4. Hydraulics and Hydraulic Machinery
5. Computer Aided Design
6. Geo-technical Engineering
7. Environmental Engineering
8. Concrete and Highway Materials
9. Projects Laboratory
10. Structural Engineering
The civil engineering department conducts many student and staff events every semester. Here are some of the highlights of those events.
Civil Engineering FORUM (CEF) is a non-registered, non-profit organization within the department of Civil Engineering, GAT. The members of the society include the undergraduate and postgraduate students, faculty members, alumni, scientists and research engineers of the Civil Engineering department working together to help and facilitate the overall development of students pursuing Civil Engineering here. CEF provides platform to showcase and sharpen students’ talents through a variety of events and activities planned throughout the year.
To become a leading department oriented to serve the basic wants of human being related to food, air, shelter and transportation, by providing quality education
Graduates in Civil Engineering will be able to:
PEO1: Developing careers in government and private civil engineering organizations and other professionally related domains
PEO2: Pursuing higher studies, and research to develop innovative solutions and technologies in civil engineering and other multi disciplinary areas
PEO3: Improving professional and personal traits aligned to professional ethics and environmental compulsions
PEO4: Professional leadership and Successful entrepreneurship
At the end of the Civil Engineering UG degree program, our Graduates will be able to:
PSO1: Comprehend, analyze and design alternatives for execution of civil engineering facilities
PS02: Apply Standard Codes of Practices and schedule of rates for planning, design, quality control, estimating and costing of civil engineering projects.
PSO3: Evaluate the buildings for resources conservation